Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

As most of you know I am a waitress at a place called the "B O" And let me tell you, being a waitress aint the free and easy money flow that you may think it is. Do not get me wrong it is better money then I could ask for right now. The restaurant is very flexable with my time I put in. But there are some things I have saccraficed.
MY WEEKENDS. If you think I have any sort of a social life, you are sorely mistaken. I am best friends with my work buddies, and if I am not at work I tend to talk about work. Sometimes It is fun to just have a laugh at there, but it literally follows me home EVERY NIGHT. I only am "BUSY" for two to three hours, and hopefully the people who sat in my section threw me a bone while I served them.
MY WARDROBE. Instead of buying cute clothes that I can wear on any normal day. I buy stuff for work. Like a little boys white collerd shirt pressed everyday of course. Black Dress Pants, Black non slip shoes with black socks black belt an ugly "ENJOY" apron and tie that I had to purchase myself. Not to mention that I have to have my hair UP and away from peoples food. Apparently hair in the food isnt a good thing.
If I take a week off of work for vacations or something. There goes a whole weeks worth of tips. I have to be there to make the money. I am rendered useless without time spent in brickoven.
I MAKE NOTHING IN A PAYCHECK. The managers usually hunt me down to give me my paycheck. I have realized it aint worth my time to go and pick it up anymore. The paycheck says "VOID" instead of a money ammount. Because brickoven only pays me 2.13 and by law I need to claim my tips and out of all the money I make brickoven takes the taxes out of my paycheck. I do not recieve a paycheck ever.
My faith in humanity severly has decreased. I cannot believe a LOT of people that go to brickoven. I understand it is a family restaurant, but cmon I need to pay my bills too! I am living off of what YOU tip me. When I do not get tipped my whole day slowly goes down hill. Which is what I am getting to. If you cannot afford at LEAST a 20% tip PLEASE ORDER TAKE OUT It is not fair to me, or any other server to do that to us. Because think about it, I have to tip out a busser and an expoditer. There are other restaurants that tip out more than just that. And everything that is said in this artical that I borrowed off of Abbie's page is SO SO TRUE.


"As America - and Utah - cinches the proverbial belt tighter this year and looks for ways to cut back, I have one helpful suggestion: If you can't afford to tip well, don't go out to eat in a restaurant with a server.
I fear that many labor under the illusion that food servers lead a singular life of luxuriously high wages because of the short-sighted arithmetic employed.
"What? Twenty percent of $70 is $14? I've only been here an hour and she has four tables! Plus, she's getting paid hourly! That's more than I make at a real job!"
WRONG!
Servers in Utah make $2.13 an hour. Not a typo. Two dollars and change. That sort of covers taxes. As a server, my paychecks were somewhere between $5 and $20.
Servers come in to an empty restaurant and stay behind in an empty restaurant long past the time you are there. They earn virtually nothing for most of the night while waiting for the dinner crowd to arrive, then work like crazy for a couple of hours, when hopefully, but not usually, their section will be full. After the rush is over, they clean and wait for patrons to leave and make very little money for the rest of the evening.
Servers share their tips with the bussers and bartenders [and sometimes expediters or hostesses] . This is usually a set percentage of their gross sales. You could safely assume that if you leave a 20 percent tip, your server actually is netting about a 15 percent tip. If you leave a 15 percent tip, your server is getting around 10 percent.
And finally, let's not forget the campers - hanging around and chatting for hours. If a server has four tables in his section, and you decide to hang out all night, you personally monopolized 25 percent of his earning potential. Did you leave extra? Didn't think so.
Times are tough. People need to conserve. I agree. Go ahead and conserve at upscale fast food or at home.
And finally, if you harbor under the ridiculous notion that being cheap is a virtue, shame on you."
By: Greg Rockwell


So next time you go out to eat. Think about these things.

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by ACDC I do not think that this title needs an explination

1 comment:

Abbie said...

Yahoo! Maybe if enough of us spread the word, things will start to change in Utah?.... crazy dream I guess. But I AGREE!!!!